Thursday, March 03, 2005

Conspiracy Theory?

Interesting Article...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/crossing_continents/4311709.stm


Any thoughts?

2 comments:

ss said...

Wish you were here so we could discuss it in depth! There are so many implications! : )

What do you think of it as a christian? I found signing a form that states you literally believe the bible interesting.....what does that mean exactly? Is it a good thing? Whose interpretation are they declaring allegiance to? I dunno! does this guy who's running the school have alterior motives? Who are his supporters...

I personally believe religion has a huge role in politics and political decison making (and it should!) and despite the secular label we have given our nation, there is no avoiding this. I would be quite content in canada as a christian country because christian morals coincide very nicely with mine .... but how far do we take it? when do we start stepping on toes? Ahhhh such a nice long twisted topic this is!

Becks said...

Yeah, me too. I miss our discussions!

I find it interesting that they target home-schooled christian kids mainly. My worry is that these 'kids' will only be exposed to one way of thinking and world view and won't know how to interact with people of different cultures and beliefs. Perhaps a little brain washed even? I think one of the learning experiences about going to a secular university is that there's such a diversity of thought and culture that you get exposed to and it challenges you to think through what you actually believe. True, it might make you question and doubt what you believe, but I think that's a good thing if you then go and try to find answers. In the end I think it'll only make your faith stronger.

Oh the other hand, I see their point about training up leaders in that environment. If there's this community of everyone who thinks similarly, it's easier to be inspired, encouraged, and motivated yourself... but is it good to be so segregated?

About the form they have to sign.. I've heard of that before. It's not so much declaring an allegiance, but a commitment. So perhaps if you're caught cheating or acting inappropriately, there might be harsher consequences because they hold their students to a higher standard, that sort of thing? I dunno either.

Another interesting thing the article mentions is the two 'groups'.. the conservative evangelical christians and the progressive evangelical christians. Is there one group that is supposedly more "Biblically correct"? How about a mixture of both. *sigh* Where's the unity?

Haha, yeah.. so many angles you can take... can there be a separation of state and religion? Or is religion and it's morals and values necessary in our society? What would happen to out legal system if we attempted to take out religion? What would be the basis of our morals? Is there a better way to run things? Without stepping on toes and infringing on people's rights?