Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Cultural Snacks

Since coming here, I've tried quite a few different snacks. I think I'm somewhat healthy in what I eat, but when I think about all the junk food I've tried... hmmmmm, maybe I just balance it out with more fruit =) In one of my labs on Monday, we were talking about cultural differences and as part of the lab, everyone brought in a snack from their culture.

Some aussie snacks include:

- Tim Tams (tasty chocolate covered wafers.. they're great! you can bite of the ends and drink through them)
- Lammingtons (tried these for the first time, sponge cake with chocolate and coconut sprinkles around them. Yum!)
- Fairy Bread (White bread with butter and "hundreds and thousands" ...ie. sprinkles on them)
- Vegemite biscuits (actually not as bad as I thought.. the vegemite taste wasn't too strong)
- Pavlova (a merigue dessert with fruits on top)

Some Canadian contributions included:
- Maple Fudge
- Rice Krispie squares (they don't have them here.. they're Rice "Bubbles"

I brought some fortune cookies, and there was also beef jerky.. can't remember the other name (South African), spice cookies (Dutch), a mac and cheese dish but more casserole like (Bahamian)

Another snack I've come to like is Mint Slice ice cream by Arnott's. It's a mint chocolate/vanilla ice cream with bits of chocolate covered mint cookie hidden in it. It's like finding treasure when I bite into a crunchy cookie hidden in the ice cream =)

Another note, they don't eat pumpkin pie here. Pumpkin's more of a vegetable so people find it weird that it's in dessert. Then again, they don't celebrate Thanksgiving, maybe there's a connection?

3 comments:

b.p. said...

you should've shared some ringolos :)

She said...

hmmm, too much chocolate! lol. but that's such a neat idea...to share "cultural" food =)

Becks said...

haha, yes you and not liking chocolate.. sub's the same as you, way too sweet for her. we were all on quite a sugar high i think from all the junk food.