Monday, October 10, 2005

Bakers Hill

This past weekend a bunch of us from OCF went to a rural town called Bakers Hill, which is about a 1.5 hr drive from Perth, to help do some gardening, weeding, and also cleared up a field for some tree planting. It was part of John Curtin Weekend, where different groups went to different rural towns across WA for various projects. (But mom, don't get too excited about me gardening when I'm home... they made it easy for us :P)

It was an awesome experience. Ah, the simple life! =) There was such a community feel there and everyone was so friendly. It was great chatting with the locals, most of them being elderly and hearing their life stories and experiences. It's been awhile since I've had the chance to interact with people from different generations. It was also nice to get away and forget about school, studying, and assignments and to put life into perspective again.

Here's the couple Esther and I stayed with, Ken and Joy:
Host Family

They had lambs and sheep!
Allie the lamb.

Esther and Allie

IMG_1139

Oh, and guess what? A pianola..no hands! I've only seen these in the movies. We had an afternoon tea on Saturday with some singing. Great fun!

Pianola

Look, Wilson! They had a really nice rec centre, where we played some table tennis and badminton Saturday night.

Wilson!

Tree Climbing. I know, I know, it seems like all we did was have fun... but hey, I was working so hard, I didn't have time to take photos while we were at it =P

Big Tree

Here's the group of us that went. We even had a 72 year old lady join us because she heard about it on the radio. I was impressed, she had so much energy for her age. The poor girl frowning was the daughter who got forced into coming by her parents.

Volunteers

Here's the OCF Bakers Hill group. =) (From L-R Back row: Ben, me; Middle: Grace, Sulin, Debbie, Chin Wee; Front: Esther). Another group went to a place called Wubin to look for fowl's nests or something like that... I guess I'm biased, but I liked our project better :P I was "site leader", but everyone made it easy for me. Thanks Esther and Debbie for bringing all those snacks and everyone else for making it a great experience.

ocf

A Pretty Flower to end off. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Purple Flower

2 comments:

Jo said...

hey, thanks for sharing those photos :) Looks like you had a blast!! Happy thanksgiving to you, too!

She said...

wow sounds like u had fun! awesome pics. thanx again for my gift =D happy thanksgiving! i definitely have much to be thankful for =)