Sunday, October 08, 2006

Thanksgiving Downunder

Sub and I invited some friends over to celebrate Thanksgiving with us yesterday. We pretty much spent the day preparing the food, starting with baking pumpkin pies in the morning, preparing the turkey, ham, making stuffing, and mashed potatoes. I pretty much acted a sous chef for the day. Maybe next year I'll move up to trying to make my own turkey, ham, and stuffing now that I've learned some tricks of the trade! :)

It took awhile finding a turkey. I asked quite a few butcher shops if they had turkeys and I usually got this weird look that said "why would I have a turkey?!" Anyways, ended up settling for a small turkey from Woolworth's. We were a bit scared it wouldn't be able to feed everyone, but I'm glad there was enough to go around. Here's a picture of the lovely bird of the night. Looks professional eh?



Here's the ham being basted. Notice the pineapple rings attached to the ham via skewers? Yum!



Here's the pumpkin pie with Pam, who imported a can of pumpkin all the way from Canada for me. Thanks Pam!! :) The one can actually made 3 pies!



Didn't manage to get a group picture with my camera... I'll have to hunt one down to post another day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum, we had turkey too. 19.5lbs turkey. only could find frozen ones though, no fresh turkeys until yankee thanksgiving.

no pumpkin pie though... Mmm pumpkin pie...

Becks said...

19.5lbs eh? that's pretty good. ours was only 3.5kg.. more like a big chicken :)

Anonymous said...

Happy thanksgiving! I'm so proud of you guys! That is a feast worhty of Martha Stewarts magazine cover! I miss you guys very much and seeing pictures of your kitchen reminded me of all the delicious meals we ate there! Yummm!

Shima

Anonymous said...

i remember you telling me about this long ago... hmm.. as if deja vu!

both you and pam look awesome!

miss you guys! :)

michelle (brisbane)