Wednesday, September 20, 2006

African Drumming

Went down to Pinjarra for a music festival, Earthdance, last week with Sub on Saturday. Mainly local bands from around Perth area who were playing to promote peace in the world. All in all, some good music and a good day.

Took part in a free African drumming workshop while we were there. It was awesome. He taught us to "say what we were playing".. so "goon" and "doon" for hitting the drum with a flat hand in the centre, "go" and "doe" for hitting it with your phalanges bent at the metacarpals, and "pat" and "tat" for "slapping" the drum with your distal phalanxes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh, all these terms that i don't know! esp phalanges...i thought it was a "non-existent" word...at least that's what "friends" said when phebe tried to get rachel off the plane.

but we went to an african drum workshop too (w drum cafe) at the toronto zoo, only without all those complicated terms :)

Becks said...

haha, sorry... they didn't actually use those terms. i just find it easier to describe than saying "furthest part of your fingers" and knuckle bones.

Jo said...

:) i'm reading blogs to take a break from my reading... and I thought I was really going bonkers when I saw your post - it looks so much like my textbook! :P I'm taking kin340 this term (sport/work injuries and dysfunctions) and it is really cool. It takes me awhile to read through the textbook, but I am amazed at how I can read an anatomy text without tiring, compared to...well, all my other textbooks! :) Sounds like you had fun, Becky! Take care, -Joanna