Friday, September 16, 2011

On African Ground

In the Addis Ababa airport right now, it's 3:30am. I'm sitting/sleeping in a sitting area by the baggage claim. People come here to wait for a bus/transit to their hotel, etc.. makes it hard to sleep..i'll try to sleep when everyone leaves but then wake up to a bunch of ppl around me - but there's also a policeman sitting/standing close by so feels safe enough. I guess it is almost 6pm in Vancouver time though.

Frankfurt, Germany - Had time to grab a sausage at the airport before the flight out.=) Also noted that a worker was riding a bike inside the airport! Saw a few bikes in the hallway too, but wasn't sure if passengers were allowed to use them. Haha. Boarding the plane was interesting, had to take a bus along the runways beside taxi-ing planes and around baggage carts to board from the tarmac. Oh and watched African Cats among other movies on the plane. Hehe, a bit of education before I head to Kenya.

Flight from Frankfurt to Addis Ababa - Sat beside some cool ppl on the flight. Joe, the guy beside me and 2 other ppl on his team were from Texas. He's been going Ethiopia every 3 months for 6yrs helping NGO's set up projects - whatever they are, like building orphanages or pastor's training, or adopt-a-child program. Some good stories to share and also learned some more about the history of Ethiopia. Apparently while I'm there, they'll have a Festival of the Arc of the Covenant. They believe the arc is in one of the churches there and they still ahve a priest that goes in to pray over it 4x/day with the rope attached to his ankle. Nice having some good company and conversation along the way! Indeed very grateful.

Just waiting for the sun to come out before I make my way to the other Terminal. Tried finding it when I arrived, but after being told to go one way, then the other, then that it was closed, I decided it's be better to go in the morning.

No comments: